Register your interest in setting science-based targets for all the Earth’s natural systems
Officially stating your interest does not obligate you to anything but will give you greater opportunity to participate in the SBTN’s methodology and user-experience development.
Set a science-based climate target
Set a target across your operations and value chains aligned with limiting global temperature rise to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels and reaching net-zero emissions by no later than 2050. Where relevant, include a commitment to zero conversion of natural habitat and land degradation neutrality.
Watch our introductory webinar on setting and SBT target for nature to find out more about how you can get involved.
Map your value chain and assess risk to freshwater, biodiversity, ecosystems and oceans in major impact locations
While climate targets and actions don’t necessarily need to be place-specific, targets and actions on water, biodiversity, lands and oceans will need to be place-based. In order to ready your organization to set science-based targets in these other areas, understanding your connection to place will be essential. We recommend you take the following steps:
- Map business operating and sourcing areas (supply chain/value chain)
- Identify and quantify risk in these areas and evaluate impacts
- Inventory existing or determine appropriate risk responses, including better management practices, standards and certification, etc. For example, for land impacts, explore landscape and jurisdictional approaches and restoration efforts
Disclose environmental data in a standardized format
Disclosing your environmental performance data on standardized platforms, particularly those that score performance, has many benefits:
- Informs key stakeholders such as investors. In the absence of information, your stakeholders will likely not give you the credit you deserve for your sustainability investments.
- Highlights improvement opportunities. You and your leadership team can see how you are doing relative to your peers. This helps you prioritize and gain internal support to invest in areas for improvement. Tracking and disclosing your performance year over year on a standardized platform shows your leadership how the investments are paying off.
- Gives you a powerful external communication tool. Talking about your performance in your corporate reporting objectively, within the context of your industry sector, lends you credibility